As service providers strive to assure excellent customer service, they are encountering challenging technical problems. A growing challenge is the need to collect alarms cost effectively from a multi-vendor, convergent network. While fault management standards are not a new subject, in reality the industry lacks a common, stable and future-proof standard that addresses the challenges of Fixed Mobile Convergence, Self-Organizing Networks and enhanced customer experience requirements.
The Alarm Management for Converged Networks Catalyst addresses that needed standardization through a Simple Alarm Reporting approach that is based on the Integration Framework's Resource Alarm Management (RAM) interface. The Integration Framework, one of the components of Frameworx, includes a standardized set of interfaces that enable rapid, repeatable and flexible integration among systems.
The RAM interface is a new Fault Management interface developed by the Interface Development Tooling project. This interface aligns the TM Forum MTOSI RTM DDP and the TM Forum OSS/J FM API using the best practices of both and augments them with new requirements raised by service providers.
The goals of the Catalyst are to:
- Demonstrate a stable, simple subset of the fault management interface—a Simple Alarm Reporting profile that collects alarms from a multi-vendor, fixed-mobile convergent network;
- Demonstrate that simple means: easy to implement, faster to standardize, stable and enabling rich functionality;
- Show that plug & play in an OSS ecosystem is not a dream;
- Pave the way for further standardization by augmenting the Simple Alarm Reporting profile;
- Indicate how to progress towards self-healing network requirements;
- Demonstrate that good customer experience can be assured with low network management costs.
This Catalyst is intended to be the first step toward alarm management standards for converged and future networks and will provide lessons learned for the industry.