The ZOOM project – Zero-touch Orchestration, Operations and Management – is working to develop best practices to support both the technology and business transformation brought about by the introduction of Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN). Industry surveys show that the deployment of this technology is now underway and Service providers must now start to maximize the benefits, over and above simple substitution of existing functionality.
The ZOOM project, has been helping Service Providers prepare for this transformation for some time and is now focussing on creating assets that can be used in the design and realization of real systems, and enable the procurement, deployment and operation this technology as part of a profitable business. Significant work has already been contributed to the TM Forum Agile OSS and Agile Operations toolkits.
The ongoing work is divided into a number of collaborative project areas.
- The Hybrid Infrastructure Management Platform – creating on a blueprint for systems that solve the technology challenge of managing a hybrid network end to end.
- Network Resource lifecycle management – focussing on the business challenge of procurement and lifecycle management of virtual assets
- The Operations Center of the Future – creating best practices for transformation of operations to unlock the business opportunities created by the new technology
- Catalysts Proof-of-Concept projects – A number of catalyst projects have already been completed and many are ongoing that showcase the business value of the work already completed by the ZOOM project and identify requirement for further work
The leading service providers, vendors and other stakeholders contributing to these collaborative project teams are building on exploratory and planning work completed in previous iterations and published in TM Forum publications.
Ongoing Collaboration Work
The ongoing work is divided into a number of collaborative project areas and workstreams:
This workstream is developing an end to end management platform blueprint to address the technical challenge of managing hybrid infrastructure comprised of both physical and virtual infrastructure, and the business challenge of unlocking the agility promised by its introduction. Several key elements are included:
- Refining the extensions to the information framework to consistently model virtual resources, and to align that model with other industry models.
- Creating a common language and framework for orchestration at multiple levels, including resource ad service orchestration.
This workstream is studying the problem of procuring, onboarding and ongoing lifecycle management of network resources, some specific areas of focus include:
- Automating this complete end to end lifecycle, reducing cost and increase business agility.
- Licence management of virtual resources to enable reliable and flexible procurement models.
This workstream is focussing on the operational aspects of an agile business. Multiple industry studies have shown that to deliver the business benefits promised by more flexible technology an operational transformation is required. Leading service providers are sharing their experiences in several key areas of this transformation including
- Creating practical guides to the adoption of new agile methods such as DevOps based on real experience.
- Continuing to evolve TM Forum Frameworx to support new operational approaches to ensure that Business Process Framework and Application Framework continue to be usable as the most widely adopted common language and framework in the industry.
Contact to discuss or learn more