The TMF406 Technical Report or Specification template is packaged within a single zip file titled TMF406_Tech_Report_Spec_Template_V#.zip. This zip file contains 2 documents:
- The first is TMF406_Tech_Report_Spec_Template_Instructions_V#-#.doc, (this document), which is the guide or instruction part of the template explaining how and when to use the template. It also contains a document history of changes to the template.
- The second document is TMF406_Tech_Report_Spec_Template_V#-#.doc which is the actual template to be used. This should be populated with the content of the actual deliverable and/or artifact being produced, and headers/footers/titles/etc should be filled in appropriately.
This set should be used to make certain that needed sections are provided, and that the format conforms to the TM Forum standard.
Note: The Difference between a Technical Report and a Technical Specification is as follows:
- Technical Report: The TM Forum staff and its working teams develop and release a variety of reports and papers within the Membership. These technical reports have a broad range, e.g., review of industry standard groups and value chain market issues. Technical Reports are not generally shared outside of the TM Forum membership.
- Technical Specification: This document type explores the business problem and investigates customer requirements that must be met to solve this problem. It is expected that this document will be used:
- To facilitate requirement agreement between Service Providers and vendor
- As input to a service Provider™s Request for Information / Request for Proposal (RFI/RFP RFx)
- As input for vendors developing Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products
- As a source of requirements for other bodies working in this area.