Delivering business agility within companies and across digital ecosystems
TM Forum’s suite of 31 REST-based Open APIs have been collaboratively developed to be used in a range of scenarios, internally enabling service providers to transform their IT and operational agility and customer-centricity, while externally delivering a practical approach to seamless end-to-end management of complex digital services.
About the Open API program
TM Forum’s Open API program is a global initiative to enable end to end seamless connectivity, interoperability and portability across complex ecosystem based services.
The program is creating an Open API suite which is a set of standard REST based APIs enabling rapid, repeatable, and flexible integration among operations and management systems, making it easier to create, build and operate complex innovative services.
Laurent Leboucher, Vice President of APIs & Ecosystems, Orange
TM Forum REST based APIs are technology agnostic and can be used in any digital service scenario, including B2B value fabrics, Internet of Things, Smart Health, Smart Grid, Big Data, NFV, Next Generation OSS/BSS and much more.
Open API Manifesto:
To date, 20 of the world’s leading service providers and technology ecosystem participants have signed the Open API Manifesto publicly demonstrating their endorsement of TM Forum’s suite of Open APIs.
The nine CSPs that adopted the Forum’s Open APIs in May 2016 have agreed to position them as a preferred requirement in their IT RFPs from January 2017 onwards. The group of 11 leading technology partners commit to using Forum Open APIs in relevant product applications and to continue to provide feedback and extensions to the APIs ensuring continuous growth of the community in support of these industry agreed APIs.
Read the official Open API Manifesto here.
TM Forum’s suite of Open APIs can unlock a range of growth opportunities, including:
- Dramatically improving business & IT agility: Open APIs enable a modular platform architecture, allowing companies to abstract underlying complexity and establish a set of platform capabilities which can be used to radically reduce time-to-market for new services and the cost of creating and operating of these new services.
- Reducing the cost and complexity of operations: Organizations need to reduce cost, simplify operations and create harmony across geographic regions and on a global basis for deployment of new group-wide or region-wide product offerings.
- Enabling a Global Wholesale Connectivity Ecosystem: Today, the wholesale ecosystem is hugely inefficient with largely manual processes which are not viable in a world of NFV and SDN. By implementing Open APIs for IT, operators can radically improve and simplify provisioning, flexibility and scalability of wholesale services. This enables operators to work together to deliver network services at global scale which can compete effectively in today’s market.
- Reducing integration cost, risk and time for the entire supply chain: With service providers under increasing pressure to improve IT efficiency and overall agility, the costs and risks associated with point integrations need to be reduced. TM Forum Open APIs in combination with established Frameworx standards provide a pragmatic way to dramatically cut the time and risk associated with business transformation projects, ongoing maintenance and future change requests.
- Opening a global platform for telco-based innovation: Communications Service Providers have many significant and monetizable capabilities, but the geographic restrictions for many of these services limits their ability to attract app developers – be they start-up developers or enterprise developers – with global ambitions. By exposing a set of telco capabilities through common APIs, alliances between operators and developer communities at scale are feasible in a much easier way. Typical applications already exist in M2M, IoT, enterprise mobile services, etc.
Featured Resources & EventsGo to Resources
Open APIs: Turning business strategy into reality. Understand APIs, how to use them to enable new business models, how to implement an API strategy and much more!
DOWNLOAD: Open API Poster
This new poster maps the current set of Open APIs and future developments coming soon.
News & AnalysisSee All »