The team working on the foundational studies workstream recognizes that SDN (Software defined networks) and NFV (Network functions virtualization) don’t exist in a vacuum. The team is building a model wherein both the legacy network and the new technologies can coexist. The aim is to allow users to pick and choose between the building blocks from legacy and new technologies to enable them to build domain specific models that are best for them.
The key challenges being solved in this workstream include:
- How can I source physical and virtual infrastructure including NFV for my hybrid environment?
- How can I determine which process, organizational or operational changes are necessary to reap the benefits of increased agility?
To solve these challenges the team is delivering:
- Specification updates on the Information Model to manage and correlate diverse and disparate data from managed systems addressing the out-of-scope management areas for ETSI MANO.
- Specification updates on Policy Management rules to manage Access Control and the integration of the Policy model fragment into the ZOOM model.
- Security: Linking Access Control Policies to the Privacy initiative.
- API Requirements
- Future OSS Architecture
- Definition of the concept of Orchestration and how it relates to Policies and architectural entities.
- Catalyst projects showcased at TM Forum Live! events and Catalyst InFocus events:
- Maximizing Profitability with NFV Orchestration
- Dynamic APIs for the Connected Carrier
- Zero Touch Network-as a-Service: Agile, Assured and Orchestrated with NFV
- Security Functions in NFV